A LANGUAGE UNDERSTANDED OF THE PEOPLEIt doesn’t matter much.
Sing it in colloquial, Church Slavonic,
Double Dutch. It’s all Greek unless
We feel the flicker of the angels’ tongues
Weaving a language from the elements:
East light outpoured, words’ texture, gesture; sense.
© Chris Fewings 2010
1. I offer a couple of links, which you may or not find helpful (or impertinent). I love Chris’s writing, which is both spare and full of echoes at the same time, rather like T S Eliot. So (please forgive, Chris): ‘understanded of the people‘; Church Slavonic.
2. This is Chris’s website, which I urge you to explore.
Here is what he says about his writing:
In my writing and reading I explore
- delight in our unbuilt environment
- resistance to its destruction
- science as wonder
- religion as poetry and metaphor as insight
- the sixth great extinction
- death as part of life
- life beyond despair
- a self as big as the earth
- the desire to control ‘nature’ and other people
- delight in poetry and language
3. The illustration is ‘Angel of Light Clouds’ by Jonathan Miller, downloaded from the Twelve Baskets website under licence.